Consumer commitment to self-care, even as restrictions remain lifted, has stayed strong, according to The NPD Group, as Q1 sales of skin care grew 12 percent to $1.4 billion. The continued prioritization of DIY home treatments was evidenced by double and triple-digit gains of hair masks, facial and body serums, nail care, and candles. Today, consumers appear tobe readying their skin for more time outside, as facial exfoliators, body exfoliators, and sun care are all up year-over-year. Here, Spate shares the top 10 searches by consumers looking for skin care solutions.
- Salicylic acid is the top trending ingredient across facial cleansing-related searches, with an average of 87.2K searches every month in the U.S.
- The facial cleansing category is searched over 1.8M times per month in the U.S.
- Oily skin is the top trending concern across facial cleansing-related searches, with an average of 94.5K searches every month in the U.S.
- Within the facial cleansing category, PHA toner is experiencing the highest growth in searches, with 148.6 percent growth since last year.
- Foaming, hydrating, and renewing are the top trending claims within the cleansing category.
- CeraVe cleanser is the number-one search in the facial cleansing category, ranked by volume.
- Searches for the facial cleansing category peaked in May 2020, when consumers were spending more time at home.
- The cleansing balm format is driving the biggest increase in searches for the facial cleansing category, with 37.5 percent growth in searches since last year.
- Cleansing sticks are experiencing strong growth in consumer interest through 2021, with 370.6 percent growth since December 2020 — although awareness is still very low and niche.
- Within the Skincare Face Products category, facial cleansing products rank third in search volume, after face treatments and moisturizing products.
Make sure you cast your vote for this year’s most notable skin care products in the cleansing, anti-aging, moisturizing and tools segments for CEW’s 2021 Beauty Creator Awards. See the Product Finalists Report to read all about which items made the cut so you can make the best informed vote.