In this report, Tribe Dynamics shared the top cosmetics, skin care and hair brands on social media for August 2019, revealing several successful influencer brand programs within each category.
In cosmetics, foundation launches proved a popular key to success. In skin care, thanks to buzzy product launches, Murad and Glow Recipe both re-entered August’s Top 10 after July absences. And, in hair, several independent brands turned heads—and drove considerable EMV—in August thanks to their inﬂuencer marketing strategies.
Top Cosmetics Brands:
- Anastasia Beverly Hills – $75,129,584
- ColourPop – $59,147,663
- Huda Beauty – $48,053,451
- Morphe – $41,736,516
- Benefit – $40,047,093
- Too Faced – $37,232,707
- MAC – $36,014,658
- Fenty Beauty – $34,268,001
- Urban Decay – $29,197,874
- NYX Professional Makeup – $28,004,558
- ColourPop maintained its No. 2 ranking in August with $59.1M EMV. The brand continued to see inﬂuencer enthusiasm for its hero Crème Gel Liner, which collected $4.6M EMV from 217 content creators
- Foundation launches proved a popular key to success in August, with major names in the Top 10—including Anastasia Beverly Hills, Fenty Beauty, and Urban Decay—enjoying significant EMV for their new complexion offerings.
Top Skin Care Brands:
- Tatcha – $8,241,116
- Farsali – $6,243,062
- Murad – $5,836,789
- Ole Henriksen – $5,010,184
- Pixi Beauty – $4,545,287
- Fourth Ray Beauty – $4,264,438
- Drunk Elephant – $3,839,069
- Glow Recipe – $3,361,268
- Fresh – $3,320,196
- Glamglow – $3,157,558
- Fourth Ray Beauty jumped from No. 10 in July to No. 6 in August’s Top 10 with $4.3M EMV, a 33% month over-month growth. While the brand continued to see organic engagement around its No. 1-ranking Turmeric Face Milk ($775.9k EMV), it also enjoyed inﬂuencer enthusiasm for the recently launched Strawberry Face Milk.
- Thanks to buzzy product launches, Murad and Glow Recipe both re-entered August’s Top 10 after July absences. Murad, which ranked No. 3 with $5.8M EMV (a 196% month-over-month growth), enjoyed hype around its new InvisiScar Resurfacing Treatment. Glow Recipe also stirred excitement this month by releasing two new iterations of its Avocado Melt Sleeping Mask, this time incorporating fan-favorite skincare ingredient retinol. The new Avocado Melt Retinol Sleeping Mask and Avocado Melt Retinol Eye Sleeping Mask drove a respective $100.5k EMV and $167.6k EMV in August from 19 and 25 inﬂuencers.
Top Hair Brands:
- Olaplex – $6,107,959
- Redken – $5,168,256
- Brazillian Bond Builder – $4,695,238
- Matrix – $3,973,805
- Artic Fox Hair Color – $3,618,547
- Ouai – $3,123,526
- Pulp Riot – $2,869,577
- Schwarzkopf Professional – $2,729,195
- Amika – $2,404,042
- Pravana – $2,213,445
- Powered by a Top 10-leading 26% month-over-month EMV growth, Olaplex jumped from No. 2 in July to No. 1 in August. Much of this momentum stemmed from brand ambassador Guy Tang (@guy_tang on Instagram) chronicling his styling of beauty guru James Dickinson (@jamescharles) for the MTV Video Music Awards.
- Though neither ranked in August’s Top 10, Aquis and Not Your Mother’s posted respective 770% and 100% month-overmonth EMV growths with their $1.5M EMV and $1.0M EMV totals. Each brand built its momentum differently, providing a range of examples for hair brands looking to stand out in a crowded ﬁeld.